Blogadda

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

My Best Friend

 It is said that books can be your best friends and your window to the outer world.

It is a friend with whom you can talk day after day. I will honestly say this friend has been with me for many years and wont leave my side until my last breath. 


I still remember my dad buying lot of books and magazines, it is those colorful pages and pictures which drew me towards reading. I used to insist my dad to read and he in turn used to reply, you need to read to understand and analyze things.


I was also fortunate to find a life partner who shared my love for books; we bonded over them and still do(Till day we havent read the same genre that topic is for another day. ) His first book gift to me was Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead, a book which i have fallen in love with  many times and in many ways. 


I see my 8 year old engrossed in reading and at times lost in the world of words, and my 4 year old amazed at her board books and the pictures. To me, this is a good start.

 

When I was growing up I was taught that books are the most prized possession one can own materialistically, far more important than any jewellery or estate. For books have words that have the power to make one visualize, dream, and change, not just us but the world as well. As a parent, I will get the greatest satisfaction when my children also realize this.


Reading is like travelling the world and often beyond – without a suitcase and a passport. And the sooner this journey begins, the better it is. Like everything else, reading requires passion and dedication. 


Nandini Mithun 



No comments:

Post a Comment