Blogadda

Thursday, May 06, 2021

Just Add Magic

 Just Add Magic


Life and its idiosyncrasies loosen our connection with the curious child within us. We start associating magic with fantasy, and forget that magic is actually very much a part of our everyday lives.


I have a child who believes in the magic of magic. She thinks there is actually a treasure at the end of the rainbow, and that in some corner of the earth, there must be a fairyland which no one knows about.


She is almost 8-year-old now and the pragmatic me used to try to tell her to come out of this 

imaginary magical world. “There is no magic in reality,” I insisted every so often during my conversations with her.

I could see a flash of disappointment and anger cross her face whenever I said so.


A few months ago, while we were having lunch, she grumbled about the taste of yoghurt that day and requested me to feed her. I sensed this could just be an excuse for getting fed by me and I happily obliged. The moment she took a spoonful in her mouth, she exclaimed.


“The curd now tastes delicious, Mumma! How did this happen?”

“Well! That’s Mother’s Magic,” I instinctively quipped, amused.

“See! I told you magic exists. It is everywhere Mumma!” she tried to convince me.


I was zapped for a moment. That day I realised that I need to stop telling my daughter that magic does not exist. Why was I trying to curb her beautiful perspective of finding magic in the world around her, I wondered?

I pondered for a moment.

Nature enthralls us in myriad ways. It fascinates us. It leaves us spellbound. Its gigs and acts can leave us gaping in awe, if only we can pause and pay keen attention. Be it the birth of a child or a sprouting of a plant; be it the vibrant rainbow or the changing colours of a chameleon – there’s boundless magic everywhere. It doesn’t even need a wand or a potion

And then there are humans who touch your life with their magic. Some people create magic with their art. Some captivate you with the goodness of their heart. Some spread magic by deeds which leave you amazed and mesmerized.

I am yet to be that magical person.

More than anything else, like my daughter perfectly puts it, we need to stop assuming that what we know everything.

If we allow ourselves to get surprised, there are multifarious magical moments or phenomenon that go beyond explanations, clarifications or reasoning. We just need to feel it.


My daughter has opened my eyes to look at the concept of magic from a different vantage point. I don’t laugh at or dismiss her talk related to magic anymore. So, when she spots magic in milk turning into curd, or curdling to paneer, I smile. Because there is indeed Magic, 


Just Add Magic 


Nandini Mithun

No comments:

Post a Comment