Blogadda

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Unexplained Relationship

Every day when I left home to college at 9.00 am I would see an old lady sitting near the bus stop, always in a same saree which had lost its shine and colour years back. She would talk to herself and do some signs which made me think with whom she was talking to.

Some said she was a mad lady, while others told she was a beggar and the rest simply said she was a rag picker, I understood how people form their own opinions quickly in just looking at a person, though it might be right or wrong. However for me she was simply another woman just like me filled with flesh and blood. Slowly it became a routine for me to see this old lady near the bus stop until my bus came.

I started speaking about this old lady to my friends but none of them seemed to be interested in what I had to tell, and just kept refusing to hear anything about the old lady and slowly I stopped speaking about her to my friends, but she was never gone out of my mind she was still there in my thoughts, I wondered why do I think so much about her when I have lot of better things to do in my life, silence was the answer I got for myself.

It was the month of March and final exams had started and I was engrossed in my studies, timetable and exams and the old lady had no place in my thoughts temporarily, my exams were over and vacations started it was then I again my mind started to pick up the things about the old lady where it had left. On the way back home from my college I saw her sitting as usual and talking something and today I saw her wearing a different saree and a green woolen blouse, I guessed someone must have given her and kept walking until I reached my home.

Since it was my vacations I didn’t get much time to see the old lady, but whatever little chances I got I utilized them completely just to have a glance of her, I enjoyed my vacations meeting my relatives and going to trips with them but this time old lady was in my mind unlike my examination time.

2 months of vacation had come to an end and here I was stepping into my 12th grade or my 2nd yr of Pre University College, it was the first day of my college after the 2month long vacation, I had carried a plain book, 2 pens, water bottle, my bus pass and rupees 10 with me, wanted to make note of the text books which my lecturer would say. I reached the bus stop and looked for the old lady but she wasn’t there I was slightly disturbed and while coming back from college I again saw the place she was sitting but to my dismay she wasn’t there, this search of mine for the old lady continued for several days until one day I learnt from one of my neighbor that she was killed in a road accident while I was away enjoying my vacations. I was stunned and I wasn’t able to utter anything, I wasn’t able to understand how I was feeling, I hadn’t spoken a word with her, nor a smile, and she doesn’t know me either, inspite of all these her absence moved me and made me think a lot about her.

Some relationships are unexplained like the one I shared with this old lady.
Have u felt such strange unexplained relationships in life without utttering a word and sharing a small smile ?

1 comment:

  1. Nandini,

    Oh! This is soooo similar to a story I wrote and published. Well written.

    ReplyDelete